Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Saint Rose of Lima: A Vegetarian Saint

Today is the feast of Saint Rose of Lima and we sure had a busy day! Goalie headed back to behavioral therapy today for the first time in two weeks and we are discussing having him tested for more disabilities including the autism scale. If you don't mind, please include my Goalie in your prayers so we can make sure he is receiving the correct and most beneficial assistance he needs. We are doing our best to keep away from medications and I am praying that the results from this testing won't bring pressure from the therapists to start medication. On a happier note, my husband and I had a brunch date this morning and are planning to enjoy some quiet time tonight with a Red Box movie and wine! These are the free/cheap dates for our Date Your Mate Challenge we are participating in until the end of September.


Well as I stated before, it is the feast of Saint Rose. Saint Rose of Lima is the patroness of gardeners, people you suffer from family problems, Latin America and the Philippines. Saint Rose was exquisitely beautiful. It is said, she was so beautiful that she looked like a rose. Hence the name Saint Rose. Saint Rose became scared that her beauty would turn people to temptation so she began rubbing pepper and lye on her face to diminish her complexion and chopped off her hair. She also gave up eating meat as a penance. She only allowed herself two hours of sleep each night and wore a heavy crown made of silver, with small spikes on the inside.

To honor Saint Rose of Lima's decision to not eat meat, I thought we would try a Peruvian Vegetarian recipe called Solterito.
Solterito:


1 Cup Lima Beans
1/2 Cup Red Onion (Diced)
1 Cup Tomato (Diced)
1 Cup Corn
1 Cup White Queso Fresco Cheese (Diced)
1/2 Cup Carrots (Diced)
2 Tbsp Cup Red Chili Pepper
3 Tbsp Red or White Wine Vinegar
3 Tbsp Olive Oil
Salt and pepper
1/4 Cup Black Olives (Sliced)
2 Tbsp Cilantro

Combine the Lima Beans, Onion, Tomato, Corn, White Cheese and Red Pepper. Season with vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. Add the Cilantro and Black Olives. Serve over lettuce (optional).

While I was researching the background on this Peruvian dish, I learned that you can also serve it mixed with quinoa. That is how I decided to make my Solterito. I also omitted the spicy chili pepper and olives because I am the only one in this house who enjoys them. I was pleasantly surprised to see everyone in the house really enjoyed this dinner.


There is a beautiful coloring page of Saint Rose from Mod H Mary.

In addition to Saint Rose of Lima's devotion to penance she often wrote her thoughts about our Lord. Here is a small sample of some of her writings where Saint Rose discusses the relationship of struggling in life and God:

Our Lord and Savior lifted up his voice and said with incomparable majesty: "Let all men know that grace comes after tribulation. Let them know that without the burden of afflictions it is impossible to reach the height of grace. Let them know that the gifts of grace increase as the struggles increase. Let men take care not to stray and be deceived. This is the only true stairway to paradise, and without the cross they can find no road to climb to heaven."

When I heard these words, a strong force came upon me and seemed to place me in the middle of a street, so that I might say in a loud voice to people of every age, sex and status: "Hear, O people; hear, O nations. I am warning you about the commandment of Christ by using words that came from his own lips: We cannot obtain grace unless we suffer afflictions. We must heap trouble upon trouble to attain a deep participation in the divine nature, the glory of the sons of God and perfect happiness of soul."

"If only mortals would learn how great it is to possess divine grace, how beautiful, how noble, how precious. How many riches it hides within itself, how many joys and delights! No one would complain about his cross or about troubles that may happen to him, if he would come to know the scales on which they are weighed when they are distributed to men."

I truly believe that we all have struggles. Some are personal and kept secret while others are more noticeable and public. For me personally, I know that I have had some times in my life when God carried me because I was too weak to do it myself. I love Saint Rose of Lima for making it known that suffering is universal and a ladder to the gates of heaven. 

Prayer in Honor of Saint Rose of Lima:

God our Father, for love of you St. Rose gave up everything to devote herself to a life of penance. 
By the help of her prayers, may we imitate 
her selfless way of life on earth and enjoy the fullness of your blessings in heaven. 
Grant this through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who lives and reigns with Thee 
and the Holy Ghost, one God, for ever and ever. 

Amen.

Saint Rose of Lima, pray for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment

TotallyCatholic.com - Your Catholic Store!