Thursday, March 22, 2012

Lent and Spring Cleaning

Lent is a time for cleansing your soul by fasting, praying and alms giving in preparation for Easter, the greatest celebration of the year! This is why spring cleaning normally falls during this time period. The additional time you take to cleanse your household in preparation can be offered as a sacrifice to God and all your "junk" can be donated (if its in decent condition) for alms giving. Yesterday my boys went for a visit with my in-laws, so I am home alone for a couple days this week. I decided I would use this time to complete all of my Spring Cleaning! I know this makes me seem like such a dork but I honestly couldn't think of much else to do with my free time. Normally Spring Cleaning would take me several weeks but since I don't have my children here I have some extra free time to get these tasks done. Today I am cleaning the down stairs since it is the most "used" part of the house. If anyone would like to use my Spring Cleaning Checklist I will try to convert this into a document for download if anyone is interested in a copy when I am finished with the actual cleaning.

Living Room
  1. Dust: All pictures, frames, fan, light fixtures and artifacts on the wall.
  2. Clean window and French Doors
  3. Polish furniture: TV stand, side table, desk
  4. Clean couch: Sweep out under cushions and wipe down with furniture polish
  5. Organize Desk
  6. Vacuum
  7. Clean walls
  8. Make note of things that are in need of repair or replacing: new light bulbs, candles, window blinds etc.
  9. Pack anything that is no longer needed in a bag to donate
Dining Room
  1. Dust: All pictures, frames, fan, light fixtures and artifacts on the wall.
  2. Clean window
  3. Polish furniture: Table, chairs, water font, wine rack and home altar
  4. Clean Booster seat
  5. Vacuum
  6. Clean Walls
  7. Make note of things that are in need of repair or replacing: candles, window blinds, etc.
  8. Pack anything that is no longer needed in a bag to donate
Kitchen
  1. Dust: greenery, clock and artifacts on the wall.
  2. Clean out refrigerator inside and out
  3. Clean oven inside and out
  4. clean microwave inside and out
  5. Clean dishwasher inside and out
  6. Clean all cabinets and polish with cleaner
  7. Clean coffee machine
  8. Clean trash can
  9. Wipe all counters and surfaces
  10. Organize pantry closet
  11. Sweep the floor thoroughly
  12. Mop with sanitizer
  13. Make note of things that are in need of repair or replacing: light bulbs, shelving, cooking utensils, etc.
  14. Pack anything that is no longer needed in a bag to donate
Half Bathroom
  1. Dust: Pictures and artifacts on the walls
  2. Clean mirror
  3. Clean sink and toiletries
  4. Polish shelf and restock toiletries
  5. Clean toilet inside and out
  6. Wash rugs and towels
  7. Sweep the floor thoroughly
  8. mop with sanitizer
  9. Make note of things that are in need of repair or replacing: light bulbs, toiletries, towels, etc.
  10. Pack anything that is no longer needed in a bag to donate

Linen Closet
  1. Remove old shoes and products to trash
  2. Organize shoes, vacuum, carpet cleaner
  3. Make note of things that are in need of repair or replacing: shelving, linen, etc.
  4. Pack anything that is no longer needed in a bag to donate

Steam Clean Carpets and Allow to dry overnight
Well the list for my downstairs area sounds pretty redundant doesn't it? Dusting, Organizing and Sanitizing! Cleaning the upstairs will take much longer! I'm going to get started while I'm feeling inspired and I will elaborate on the other half of the house soon.  The other rooms upstairs include...

Master Bedroom
Master Bathroom
Laundry Room
Squishy's Bedroom #1
Little Man's Bedroom #2
Kids Bathroom
I hope every one's Lenten Season is progressing well! Good luck to all who are undertaking their Spring Cleaning too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

TotallyCatholic.com - Your Catholic Store!