Friday, June 1, 2012

Our Pirate Adventure {Billy Bowlegs 2012}

Yesterday was the first time ever we have attended the Billy Bowlegs Festival. The kids were really excited about attending the parade that is held annually in Ft. Walton Beach. I was lucky enough to have a friend that had an extra pirate costume for Little Man and I drew a skull and cross bones on a white shirt for Squishy. We were watching Little Man's friend too so his mom had him in a pirate outfit complete with a dread lock wig and painted facial hair! The kids looked so cute.

I wish I had not left my memory card to my camera at home so I could have been able to take some pictures. However, I was able to snap a few pictures with my phone camera. I just don't know how to download them to the computer yet since its not a smart phone (My husband will hopefully have it figured out for me soon and I will update this post soon). FINGERS CROSSED! :o)


To start our pirate adventure, we began with a Little Scallywag's Pirate Walk. Each child received a map with 18 different locations numbered along a designated route. All the small shops and vendors were outside handing out candy, pirate coins and beads. When you would reach a designated location on your map, the vendor was suppose to sign or stamp the map. Once you visited all 18 locations, you returned to the starting point to claim your "pirate booty".The kids were all so excited when we would make it to a shop that would sign off on their map. Several places would have them make pirate noises or something else cute in order to have their maps signed. It took us 2.5 hours in the Florida heat but we completed the Pirate Walk! I think I was just as excited as the kids to turn in our maps and get our prizes! Each bag contained pirate coins, temporary tattoos, colorful woven bracelets and several coupons to shops along our Pirate Walk route.























After the Pirate Walk we were suppose to find a good spot to wait for the Billy Bowlegs Parade, but the kids were so tired and ready to go home. I did not argue! I carried my 19 month old that weighs 38 lbs. most of the Pirate Walk and I was exhausted! We loaded everyone into the car and headed home for a pizza and movie night. To keep with the pirate theme of the day, we watched The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything- A Veggie Tales Movie. If you have never seen the movie you should definitely check it out! It's absolutely adorable. It has a great lesson about doing what's right, even when there are easier options. The music always makes the kids smile and they sing along with every music title. Well I hope the rest of our summer stays this exciting!

Have a Blessed Day!



No comments:

Post a Comment

TotallyCatholic.com - Your Catholic Store!